Tuesday, March 3, 2009

About the Renal Tumor Program at my hospital

As some of you know, a while ago my oncologist and surgeon, David McDermott and Drew Wagner, asked if I'd be willing to be videotaped talking about what I think about the Renal Tumor program they offer. Well, you know me – please don't throw me in that briar patch! Besides, since I feel pretty strongly that I owe them my life, the least I can do is tell the story to a million people or so.



In a couple of shots you can see my wife Ginny. And, very sharp-eyed long-time Bostonians may be able to recognize that the unnamed fellow in those shots is Gary Gillis, former sportscaster for WHDH-TV. He's the producer of this video.

More details about the Beth Israel Deaconess Renal Tumor Program are on their web site.

(As I write this, the video player is behaving very balkily for me. I don't know if it's my computer or the Brightcove video server. I expect they'll get it worked out.)

4 comments:

  1. Impressive video, Dave. Brings back some bad memories for me, though.

    You're looking healthy as an ox. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found myself really enjoying listening you tell this remarkable story.....since I know how happy is the outcome. You do it especially well in this piece.

    From down here in Texas......Frank

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave: excellent job with the video. Your presentation/verbal skills are excellent.

    The e-patient centric focus is consistent with the evolution in management that we experienced in our generation.
    In the 60's it was a military pyramid...the one above you knew more that you (aka The Dr.) so you did nothing until DIRECTED.
    finally people begin to realize..what if I TRUSTED the intelligence of those below me, we work as a TEAM, work in the same DIRECTION....voila .....improvement!
    Engagement! Motivation! Fulfillment!

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great point, David! If you search this site for "steal these slides" you'll see Doc Tom Ferguson's vision of what you describe, 14 years ago.

    I enjoyed our call last night. I think you're exactly right.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments will be posted after they are reviewed by the moderator.