Saturday, November 29, 2008

Happy Birthday to this blog, part 3

Continued from part 2

In hindsight, the first three months (11/28 through the Texas trip) were germination, early thinking, with signs of what lay ahead. The second three months were about exploration and education, as I started learning the lay of the land, understanding my first layers of how the US healthcare system works.

I also saw that I really want to produce results in this area. So although I didn't write about it here, in late May I attended Landmark's Conference for Global Transformation.

I didn't have the prerequisites to be a registered attendee, but somehow that didn't stop me. (Imagine that!) I just wanted to be in the "space" of a mass of people who are actively engaged in changing the world in all areas of life, so I assisted on the production team.

And man, did I emerge with a different kind of energy and a clearer focus. Landmark's technology is a kind of "applied ontology," a sort of existential booster shot that fortifies who you are in life, with a promise of "the power to be effective in the areas of life that matter most to you."


Q3 (the third quarter of this blog) turned out to be my "coming out" - starting to gain a wider audience.

6/7: CaringBridge story

This was the Associated Press story about CaringBridge and CarePages by Stephanie Nano (a sharp reporter), which started with my story and featured a photo of my daughter Lindsey and me, going out to dinner to celebrate her engagement - an occasion that wouldn't have happened if things had turned out the way the statistics had suggested. :)

That same week, for the first time I was on a panel at the Mass Tech Leaders Council. They asked me to write something for their blog, which led me to write some material for new visitors in my next posts.

6/18: Why I blog and My cancer story - short version

During the spring on the e-patient blog we'd highlighted what we felt were some weaknesses in the viewpoint of CNN's "Empowered Patient" column. So I was very happy to be contacted by Elizabeth Cohen, health correspondent for that series, who asked my thoughts for a "pioneers" feature they were doing for July 4:

7/3: CNN's "Empowered Patient heroes" recognizes e-patient pioneers Tom Ferguson and Gilles Frydman

A profound moment for me was the discovery of two slides by Tom Ferguson MD, which he created when the Web was less than a year old. He foresaw (correctly!) how healthcare would be turned on its head when patients have access medical information and to each other. Visionary, foundational thinking:

7/18: Steal these slides

7/25: Illness in the Age of 'e'
Announcement of the paper and presentation that my doctor and I are doing.

Then came the series where I summarized the e-patient white paper over an 18 day span:

e-Patients: How they can help us heal healthcare, chapter 1: Hunters and Gatherers of Medical Information (8/5)

Chapter 2: Content, Connectivity, and Communityware (Includes the seminal "seven preliminary conclusions")

Chapter 3: Patient-Centered Networks: Connected Communities of Care

Chapter 4: The Surprisingly Complex World of e-Communities

Chapter 5: e-Patients as Medical Researchers

Chapter 6: Learning from e-Patients

Chapter 7: The autonomous patient (8/23)

Intermixed with that was misc. news:

8/10: Inspiring news from my cousin's blog

8/18: To heck with cancer; I don't like having a cold.

8/23: "Born To Be..." (levity from Levy)

8/28: Takin' It Back with Barack, Jack – still a great swing song for swing voters

And that brings us up to three months ago. For me the synopses of the white paper were the big moment: once I'd done that, I became about to express the content on my own. I wouldn't say I can quote it "chapter and verse" but I now have the ability to write and speak without that feeling of "What was that I read... wasn't there something about that in the white paper?"

Series ends with Part 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be posted after they are reviewed by the moderator.