Friday, August 13, 2010

Are you happy about why you're here? Are you free to be?

TED talk by Elizabeth Gilbert. Love this quote:

"Is it rational, is it logical, that anybody should be expected to be afraid of the work that they feel they were put on this earth to do?"



I'm posting it because the work I'm doing now is so fabulous, such a self-expression, that I get what she means. As it says on my business website, “This is the first time in my life I’ve felt I have a calling,” says Dave, “something I can’t get away from: it’s what I need to do. I’ve had plenty of fulfilling jobs in a great career, but not a calling. This is it.” And I think everyone should be on the lookout for what calls to them - like the muse she describes that flew into Tom Waits's head while he was driving, or the one that pulled the poet home to grab a pencil and pull that verse out of the air. Backwards, if necessary, as it tried to get away.

I know the feeling described in this talk, of a message coming through me, in a way that I just grab as it goes past. And when I speak, I just say what apparently is waiting to be said.

I'm going to watch this over and over. Thanks for the support you all give me, and special thanks to high school classmate Susan Alnes for steering me to this.

2 comments:

Your comments will be posted after they are reviewed by the moderator.